Cheese pancakes with cheese sauce and broccoli
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Prefer your pancakes savoury? Make these delicious savoury pancakes from MasterChef winner Mat Follas. Serve the cheesy pancakes with a rich cheese sauce and broccoli
IngredientsFor the cheese sauce:
- 50g grated cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 150ml double cream
- Pinch of salt
For the pancakes:
- 50g cheese, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 dessert spoons plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 broccoli to serve
Don’t worry if the first pancake doesn’t come out well, it’ll ‘season’ the pan and they’re much easier from then on.
- To make the cheese sauce: Gently heat the double cream in a pan. Whilst whisking, gradually add the two cheeses and salt. Continue mixing until they have melted and become a thick and creamy sauce.
- Cook the broccoli florets for 2 minutes in boiling water then place in bowl of cold water to halt the cooking process. This will preserve the vivid colour.
- To make the pancakes: In a bowl, mix the eggs, cheese, flour and salt to form a paste. Slowly add the milk, mixing continuously until it becomes the consistency of paint.
- Pour the batter into a hot, flat, buttered pan. Lift the pan, moving the mixture so that it evenly coats the base, forming a thin pancake. After approx two minutes the pancake should be loose. Tease the edges away from the sides and then, with a rolling motion, toss the pancake and catch it again, cooking the other side for approx one minute.
- To finish, place the pancake on a plate, put the broccoli (3-4 florets per pancake) and the cheese sauce on one half of the pancake and fold the other half over and drizzle with a little more cheese sauce