Sausage, mushroom and bean stew
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 6-8 sausages, eg, Toulouse or chorizo style
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 4 sticks celery, sliced
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 ham or pork stock cubes
- 125g flageolet beans, soaked overnight
- 1.25 litres casserole dish or slow-cook pot
If the stew is very thick add some extra boiling water or stock.
- If cooking in the oven, set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Heat half of the oil in a frying pan and add the sausages. Fry them for 7-10 mins over a medium heat, turning them occasionally, until theyre browned and then remove them from the pan and place in the casserole dish or slow-cook pot.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and then the onion and celery, and cook for about 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Tip the tomatoes into the pan and crumble in the stock cubes and add 300ml water. Add the drained beans. Bring the mixture to the boil and boil, uncovered, for 10 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the sausages and cover the dish.
- Either cook in the centre of the oven for 11⁄2-13⁄4 hours, or in the slow-cook pot on Auto or Medium for 5-6 hours.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 440(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.