Slow-cooked chicken curry
Prep time:(plus marinating time)
Cooking time:(on high slow cooker setting)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Got a slow cooker? Learn how to make this creamy chicken curry for your family. Just marinade the chicken for extra flavour and leave to cook 4 hours to make a lovely rich sauce
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1kg boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 75g blanched almonds
- 150g Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ttsp garam masala
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 80ml thick (double/heavy) cream
If you have the time marinade the chicken overnight for even more flavour
- To make this chicken curry, using a mortar and pestle or a food processor, crush or blend the ginger and garlic together to form a paste. Alternatively, finely grate the ginger and crush the garlic and mix them together.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor or finely chop them with a knife. Put the ginger and garlic paste and almonds in a large bowl with the yogurt, chilli powder, cloves, cinnamon, garam masala, cardamom pods, tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend together with a fork.
- Trim the chicken of any excess fat and cut into fairly large pieces. Add the chicken to the marinade and stir to coat the chicken thoroughly. Cover and marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Combine the chicken mixture with the onion in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours then add half the coriander and the cream and cook for a further 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the chicken with rice and garnish with the remaining coriander.