Prep time:(plus cooling time)
Total time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
A topping of pineapple, kiwi fruit and pomegranate seeds gives the traditional pavlova a tropical twist. It's a pud that the whole family will love and is a great one to try at a summer get together. With a whole host of colourful fruit topping this dessert recipe, it’s a great one to have in the centre of the table for everyone to admire!
- 4 large egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 200g carton whipped cream
- 200g carton prepared pineapple cubes
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½-1 x 110g carton prepared pomegranate
- Baking sheet with non-stick liner or baking parchment
The meringue case can be made 2-3 days in advance. It’s best eaten on the day that the cream topping and fruit is added.
- To make the pavlova, set the oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1.
- Tip the egg whites into a bowl and whisk them until stiff, then gradually whisk in half the sugar. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Add the rest of the sugar, cornflour and vinegar to the bowl and whisk very briefly until it’s all combined.
- Turn the mixture out on to the lined baking sheet and spread it out to about a 25-30cm round, leaving it shallower in the centre and thicker at the edges.
- Cook the meringue in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼ hours, or until it feels set to the touch and is an even, pale colour. Turn off the oven and leave the meringue to cool in the oven.
- To make the topping: Just before serving, stir the icing sugar into the whipped cream and spread it over the centre of the meringue case. Top with the pineapple cubes, kiwi fruit and scatter the pomegranate seeds on top.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 263(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.