Claire Page's strawberry red velvet whoopie pies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
goodtoknow user Claire Page adapted this recipe for red velvet whoopie pies to make these delicious strawberry versions. Shape into hearts for a romantic treat
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g light brown soft sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1tsp strawberry flavouring
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 175g plain flour
- 50ml buttermilk
- 1tbsp red food colouring
For the icing:
- 50g flora white
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2tsp strawberry flavouring
- 225g icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
Buy a heart-shaped mould to shape the pies if you haven't got a steady hand
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- Beat together the butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer for 2/3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and strawberry flavouring and beat until well combined. Add the baking powder.
- Whisk in the flour and buttermilk in alternate batches on a low speed, starting and finishing with the flour - be careful not to over-beat. Whisk in the food colouring and a pinch of salt.
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe the batter onto the baking parchment in small heart shapes, about 3cm in diameter. Leave a 3cm gap between each as they will spread.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until they're puffed up and spring back on touching. Cool on the baking trays for at least 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the flora white and butter using an electric mixer. Add the strawberry flavour and icing sugar. Beat on a low speed at first and increase the speed until the icing is smooth and fluffy. Use the icing to sandwich the pies together in pairs, with the flat sides facing each other. Dust with icing sugar before serving.