Coloured candy cookies
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 125g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
- 1 med egg
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tubes candy-coated chocolates, eg, Smarties
- Baking sheets, lined with non-stick liners or baking parchment
For an alternative topping, use chocolate chips, nuts or raisins.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg and stir in the flour and salt. Wrap dough in a plastic bag and chill it for 30 mins, or until it’s firm enough to handle. Knead dough lightly until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 20 and roll each piece into a ball. Flatten them and place on the baking sheets.
- Press 6 candy-coated chocolates on to the top of each in a flower pattern or around the edge.
- Bake the cookies in the centre of the oven for about 15 mins, or until they are starting to turn pale golden.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Leave them to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will keep for up to 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 130(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.