'I love you Mum' biscuits
When the cookies are sifted with icing sugar, it will dissolve into the jam to produce bright red letters and hearts.
- 175g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 125g unsalted butter
- 60g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100-150g strawberry jam, sieved
- 5cm fluted, round cutter
- Small letter and heart cutters
- Baking sheets, lined with non-stick liners or baking parchment
- Set the oven to 180C, gas 4.
- Tip the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and add the cubed butter and icing sugar. Whizz until the ingredients bind together to form a dough. Alternatively, tip the ingredients into a bowl and rub in the butter and continue working it to form a dough. Tip into cling film and press together. If it’s soft, chill until the dough is firm enough to roll out.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3-4mm thick and use the fluted, round cutters to cut out as many rounds as possible, re-rolling the trimmings as necessary. Keep half of the rounds plain and cut out letters and hearts from the others. Place all the shapes on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 mins, or until they’re a pale-golden colour. Remove them from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheets for a few mins, before sliding them on to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread some jam over the whole biscuits, and top with a cut-out one. Dust with icing sugar before serving. The biscuits will keep for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 81(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.