Prep time:Plus 30 minutes chilling time
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Show mum she's No.1 this Mother's Day with these delicious and easy vanilla-flavoured biscuits. We've used alphabet cutters to spell out the word 'mum' but you can make whatever shapes you like
Icing writing pens are really easy to use if you're not confident with a piping nozzle. Find them in the baking aisle.
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Icing writing tubes and flower sprinkles to decorate (we used Dr.Oetker)
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and caster sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again until combined.
- Add the flour mix 1/3 at a time, beating with the electric mixer until just combined.
- Bring the dough together in a ball with your hands, adding 1/2 tsp of cold water to bring the dough together if you need it. Wrap the ball of biscuit dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line a large baking tray with baking
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 4mm thick and use a M cutter and a U cutter to stamp out the word 'MUM'. Depending on the size of your cutters you should have enough biscuit dough to make 18 biscuits/6 lots of the word 'MUM'. Press the biscuits out carefully onto the baking parchment using your index finger. If the letters need neatening around the edges, you can go around them with a toothpick to remove any excess dough.
- Bake for 15–18, or until the biscuits have turned a light gold colour. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack then ice. We used pink icing writing and flower sprinkles. The biscuits will keep for a couple of days in an airtight tin.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.