The Hairy Bikers' cardamom and lemon stamped cookies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
On their travels for cookery show The Hairy Bikers Bakeation, Si and Dave sampled some of the best baking in Europe. Here they share their recipe for Norwegian-inspired cookies
- 225g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 3tsp ground cardamom or 1 heaped tsp cardamom seeds, ground in a pestle and mortar
You can also make these cookies using a biscuit press. They’ll be about half the size, so cook them for 10–12 minutes instead.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment.
- Using an electric hand-whisk, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the flour, almonds and cardamom until the mixture is well combined and comes together to form a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough into 24 balls and place 12 on each baking tray – make sure you leave space between each one. Press each cookie with a cookie stamp or the bottom of a glass to flatten and leave decorative indentations in the dough.
- Bake a tray at a time for 12–14 minutes until the cookies are pale golden brown. Leave them to cool on the tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. They will crisp up as they cool. Store the cookies in an airtight tin and eat within 7 days.