Ruth Clemens' chocolate chip cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sometimes all you need is a really simple, well-cooked cake. Great British Bake Off finalist Ruth Clemens shares her easy chocolate chip cake recipe with us, decorate as you wish for any occasion
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, medium
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g chocolate chips
You could decorate with the cake with some melted chocolate and sprinkles if you have some!
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare a 20cm (8") cake tin by greasing well and lining the base with a circle of baking paper.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and the flour to the mixture and beat well until fully combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Place the mixture into the tin and roughly level to top using the back of a silicone spoon.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Place on a plate, dust with a little icing sugar and serve.