Prep time:(plus proving time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Create delicious jam doughnuts at home with this simple recipe. Baked instead of deep-fried, these easy doughnuts are covered with a deliciously tempting sticky glaze
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 245g caster sugar
- 25g butter
- 7g easy blend yeast
- 75ml milk
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam (or jam of your choice)
- 50g icing sugar
Keep a pile of extra flour to one side when you are kneading - it'll come in helpful
- Put the flour and salt and 45g of the sugar into a big bowl and rub in the butter until it looks like fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the yeast.
- Heat the milk until it is warm. Mix the milk and the egg into the flour mixture until it forms a dough.
- Flour a worktop and tip the dough onto the worktop. Knead the dough until it stops being sticky and keep going until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough back in the bowl and cover it with a tea towel. Leave in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Take the dough out and give it another knead for a couple of minutes, then cut it into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each ball out to a circle of about 10 cm and put a small teaspoon of jam in the middle. Gather up the edges of the circle around the jam and pinch it all together to make a seal.
- Place the filled doughnut seal-side down on a baking tray and repeat the process, leaving lots of space between each one. Cover again with the tea towel and leave to prove once more for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and bake the doughnuts for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- To make the glaze: Mix the icing sugar with enough water to make a thin, runny, icing and brush each doughnut with it.
- Put the caster sugar in a deep dish and roll the wet doughnuts in it.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!