Stripy Easter eggs
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
- Dark chocolate-flavour cake covering (If you use real chocolate it will need tempering first)
- White chocolate-flavour cake covering
- Chocolate food colourings (needs to be fat-based rather than water-based)
You will also need:
- Baking sheet
- Small disposable piping bags
- Cotton, latex or vinyl gloves
No quantities are given for these eggs as it's easier to work with more chocolate than you'll need. Any leftover chocolate can be reset, then packed in an airtight container and re-melted to use again in another recipe. Each finished egg weighs about 30-40g, so a 300g packet chocolate-flavour cake covering will make 7-10 eggs
- Melt the chocolate-flavour cake coverings in separate pans, over a pan of hot water or in a microwave.
- Fill the cavities in the mould with the melted chocolate, then rotate the mould, tilting it so that the sides of the mould are coated. Repeat this several times, then tip out the excess chocolate and use a palette knife to remove any surplus from the top of the moulds. Place the mould in the fridge for a few minutes until the chocolate has set.
- Repeat the filling, coating and tipping out excess chocolate from the moulds several more times to build up the thickness of the chocolate. Make sure that itís completely set before trying to remove them from the mould on to a board.
- Use the food colourings to colour melted white chocolate. First colour some green and put it in a piping bag and cut off the end of the bag to give a small hole and pipe zigzags over the egg halves. Repeat, colouring some white chocolate pink. Leave to set.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up and then remove it from the oven. Wearing gloves to avoid getting fingerprints on the egg halves, pick up both halves and place them briefly on the baking sheet. Move the egg halves around to melt the top edges, then press them together until they hold, and leave them to set completely.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 227(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.