Lactose-free strawberry cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
With a fluffy centre and gorgeous creamy icing these lactose-free strawberry cupcakes taste just as delicious as the real thing! Just because you’re lactose-free, doesn’t mean you should have to miss out on a tasty cupcake treat. This recipe uses lactose-free milk and lactose-free spread for these cupcakes, so they’re still as yummy as a normal recipe but totally lactose-free. Topped off with a lovely creamy icing, they make the perfect afternoon treat or party cake if you want to include all your guests. If you want to make them extra bright, add a dash of pink food colouring into the icing mix too.
IngredientsFor the cupcakes:
- 150g lactose-free spread
- 250g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2tsp vanilla
- 250g flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 275ml lactose-free whole milk
For the icing:
- 250g lactose-free spread
- 750g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4tbsp lactose-free whole milk
- 50g lactose-free strawberry yogurt
- 35g crushed fresh strawberries
- A dash of pink colouring (optional)
- Fresh strawberry for garnish
You can use different fruits such as raspberries or blueberries for a different flavour
- For the cupcakes: Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla together until creamed. Add eggs one at a time.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together. On slow speed mix dry ingredients with butter mixer and slowly add the milk. Keep mixing on slow until all ingredients are combined. Spoon into cupcake holder.
- Bake at 180°C/340°F/Gas Mark 4 for 15-20 minutes.
- For the strawberry icing: Cream butter, vanilla, yogurt and crushed fresh strawberries together. Mix in the icing sugar and milk. Whip until fluffy and add a dash of pink colouring (optional)
- Spoon into piping bag and pipe onto top of your cooled cupcake. Add a strawberry on top to finish.
Fancy making the traditional version? Try our classic strawberry cupcakes recipe