Baked bubble and squeak
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Baked bubble and squeak makes this dish even easier, leaving out any stirring or frying that bubble and squeak usually requires (which should leave you with time to put your feet up for a whole five minutes!). Pop everything in the oven with a good spoonful of duck fat for a delicious savoury edge to this potato and cabbage combination. Although baked bubble and squeak is usually made with the leftovers from a roast dinner, this bubble and squeak can also be used as a side dish for a roast dinner and is so good that we think it's worth making from scratch, even if you don't have any pre-prepped potatoes. The salty lardon pieces give whole recipe a smoky edge but if you prefer the flavour of plain bacon then you can easily substitute these for unsmoked lardons.
- 2 tbsp duck fat or olive oil/rapeseed oil
- 1kg (2¼lb) large floury potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 200g pack cabbage greens
- 200g pack smoked bacon lardons
You can microwave or boil the cabbage for a couple of minutes instead of steaming if you prefer.
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put in a roasting tin, with the fat in it, to get piping hot. Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 4-5 mins. Put the greens in a steamer over potatoes and cook for a few mins. Drain the potatoes well and return them to the pan. Put the lid on and shake the pan to dry the potatoes and roughen the edges.
- Tip them into the hot fat and shake the tin. Add the bacon and roast for 40 mins, turning the potatoes occasionally. Add the steamed cabbage and cook for another 10 mins to heat it through before dishing up your bubble and squeak.