- 1 boned leg of lamb (about 1.7kg/3¼lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 300ml (½ pint) white wine
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 100g (3½oz) white bread
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
- 1 head of garlic, halved across the cloves
- 250g (8oz) minced lamb
- 60g (2oz) pine nuts, toasted
- 100g (3½oz) raisins
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 rounded tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium egg
- Salt and ground black pepper
A butcher may take the lamb bone out without opening it right up; in which case, pile the stuffing in the larger open end.
- To make the stuffing: Tear the bread into a large bowl, pour the milk over and leave to soak for 5 mins. Drain off any excess milk, then stir in 2 peeled and chopped garlic cloves and the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Open out the leg of lamb, skin-side down. Spread stuffing over (you may only need half of it).Roll lamb back up and secure with string. Weigh meat, it will be about 2kg (4½lb). Put the rest of the stuffing in an ovenproof dish.
- Put the lamb in a roasting tin with the onion, celery, carrot and the rest of the garlic. Drizzle with oil and season. Roast for 20 mins, then turn the oven temperature down to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Pour in the wine and add rosemary. Roast for 1 hour 45 mins, basting 2 or 3 times with the pan juices during cooking. Add water if pan juices dry out.
- Cook extra stuffing for 40 mins.
- Take the meat out, cover loosely with foil, and leave for about 30 mins. Remove string and slice meat. Serve with the pan juices, made into gravy if you like along with the veg from the pan, green veg and potatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 500(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.