Italian mushroom and tomato toast topper
- 6 portabellini or chestnut mushrooms
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- A few lemon thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 slices ciabatta or rustic wholemeal bread, toasted
Chestnut mushrooms are good for this recipe as they hold their shape and have a good flavour but any mushrooms can be used, just slice or chop if large. Would also be tasty with basil or oregano
- Put the portabellini or chestnut mushrooms, stalks down, with the roughly chopped tomatoes on a foil-lined grill pan. Sprinkle with lemon thyme leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill for 2 mins, turn the mushrooms and stir the tomatoes. Grill for 2 more mins.
- Rub the toast with the cut surface of the garlic and top with the hot tomatoes and mushrooms. Sprinkle with a few extra thyme leaves and season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.