Devilled kidneys on toast
- Large knob of butter
- 6 lamb’s kidneys, halved, central core removed, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp balti curry paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 spring onions, chopped.
- Handful of spinach leaves
- Toasted malted brown bread or crusty white bread, to serve
Not keen on kidneys? Use chicken livers instead for a milder flavour
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the kidneys and fry for 3-4 mins, until browned. Add the balti curry paste, Worcestershire sauce, mango chutney, mustard, lemon zest and 4 tbsp water. Heat through for 2-3 mins.
- Add the spring onions and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Wilt a good handful of spinach leaves in a small pan or in the microwave, divide between slices of toasted malted brown bread or crusty white bread and top with the kidney mixture.