Sautéed leek with quail’s eggs on toast
- 2 slices Parma ham
- A large knob of butter plus extra for buttering toast
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2-3 quail’s eggs (or 1 hen’s egg) per person
- 2-3 slices wholemeal bread or sourdough bread, toasted
To make this really nice and rich, stir some double cream or crème fraiche into the leeks. Streaky bacon would be fine to use instead of Parma ham.
- Tear the Parma ham into pieces, add to a hot pan and cook until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Add a large knob of butter to the pan with the sliced leek and garlic. Sauté for 5 mins until softened.
- Poach the eggs in gently simmering water, 1-2 mins for quail's eggs or 2-3 mins for hen's eggs, until cooked to your liking. Butter the toast and spoon over the leeks and Parma ham. Place the eggs on top and season.