Potted mackerel on toast
- 2 fresh or frozen (thawed) mackerel fillets
- 50g butter
- A pinch of ground mace
- A pinch of ground cayenne
- Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Toasted rye or farmhouse bread, sliced radishes and rocket, to serve
You can use kippers, smoked mackerel or sardines in this recipe if you prefer.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the mackerel fillets, skin-side down, and cook for 4 mins, turning them once. Remove from the pan and flake the fish, discarding the skin and any bones.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt with the ground mace, ground cayenne and plenty of ground black pepper. Remove from the heat, add the flaked fish and beat in with the lemon juice.
- Spread the potted mackerel on warm toast and serve with sliced radishes and rocket leaves.