Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Be experimental with your cupcake making and try these delicious banoffee cupcakes, made exclusively for goodtoknow by our cupcake queen Victoria Threader
- 60g unsalted butter
- 90g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 large banana
- 100g self-raising flour
- 20g cornflour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 9tsp Dulche de Leche or Carnation Caramel (thick caramel)
- 300ml double cream
- 20g fudge pieces
- 40g dark chocolate, for drizzling
- Banana slices, to decorate
Victoria creates a new cupcake recipe for goodtoknow every week. See her previous creations in our cupcake of the week gallery
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3 and place 9 paper cake cases in a muffin tin. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then mash the banana with a fork and add it into the butter and sugar with the egg and beat until smooth.
- Sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder over the mixture, add the milk and beat until just combined, don’t overbeat.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases (use an ice cream scoop to get even-sized cakes) to the baking cases and bake for 25-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To fill and decorate: When the cakes are cool, using an apple corer, core the centres out of the cakes and add 1 teaspoon of the thick caramel, pop the cored piece of cake back in the hole.
- Whip the cream until just thick enough to form soft peaks and pipe or spoon onto the cakes. Sprinkle with fudge pieces. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 10 second bursts until smooth. Drizzle over the cupcakes with a teaspoon and top with a banana slice (cut into heart shapes with a cutter for an extra special touch).