Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A mouth-watering meal for all the family to enjoy. Using fresh asparagus and healthy brown basmati rice, this dish is the perfect healthy option
- 250g brown basmati rice
- 1 bundle asparagus
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 700ml chicken / veg stock
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
You can make this meal in one pot! That way you have less washing up to do, and more time to put your feet up!
- Rinse the rice and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Trim the ends of the asparagus then cut into 3-4 pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large pan then add the onion, garlic, thyme and spices and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and cook for a further minute, then pour the boiling stock into the pan, cover with a piece of tin foil and place on a tight fitting lid. Cook over a low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Place the asparagus spears into the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, season with salt and pepper then a squeeze of lemon juice. Sprinkle over the parsley.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 343(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
- Sugars 2.6g
- Salt 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.