Strawberry and rhubarb breakfast bars
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Fancy something quick and easy for breakfast? These strawberry and rhubarb breakfast bars are ideal for busy mums on the go
- 200g muesli (Brands with added fruit like Dorset Cereals Berries & Cherries will add more flavour)
- 50g Rice Krispies
- 100g porridge oats
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g golden syrup
- 300g fat-free strawberry and rhubarb yogurt
- 2 tbsp plain flour, sifted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g icing sugar
If you prepare them the night before your busy day all you have to do in the morning is remember to pop them in your bag!
- Pre-heat the oven to 178°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Prepare and grease a square cake tin 20 x 30cm (8 x 12 inches).
- Weigh in the muesli, Rice Krispies and oats to a large bowl.
- Combine 200g of the yogurt with the flour and egg in a small bowl, whisk well so there are no lumps.
- Melt the butter with the syrup in a small pan and stir. Add the melted butter and syrup to the cereals, mix well.
- Pour half the cereal mixture into the tin about 2cm thick and press down well. Pour over the yogurt and egg and spread over evenly. Finish by topping it with the rest of the cereal mixture. Press down again.
- Bake until lightly golden around the edges but still slightly soft.
- Allow to cool in the tin then remove and cut into bars.
- To decorate, take the remaining 100g of yogurt and mix with the icing sugar until a smooth paste is formed. Drizzle the icing over the bars and leave to set.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 388(kcal)
- Fat 11.3g
- Saturates 5.8g
- Sugars 38.8g
- Salt 0.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.