Apple crumble cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Love a bit of apple crumble and custard? Make your favourite dessert into bite-sized treats with this recipe. Sweet apple sponges topped with a custard icing, apple sauce and crunchy crumble - delicious
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g light brown sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 10g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 3 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- 4 tsp custard powder
- 2 tsp hot water
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 10g butter
- 10g sugar
- 20g self-raising flour
- 20g porridge oats
- Deep muffin pan
- 12 muffin cases
- Piping bag with Wilton 6B decorating tip
Victoria uses an ice cream scoop to measure out her cupcake mixture so each cake is the same size
- To make this cupcake recipe, place the apples into a pan with 3 tbsp caster sugar, lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are soft. Take 1/3 out and leave to one side for the apple sauce. Mash the rest with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Line the baking tray with cases.
- Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes) Sift the flour, spices and baking powder together. Add 1 egg to the butter and sugar with 1 third of the flour mix and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients are combined.
- Slowly fold the cooled apples until even throughout the mixture.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and cool in the tins for 10 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack
- To make the crumble Rub all the ingredients together with your fingers and toast in a heat proof dish under a hot grill for 10 mins shaking the mix after 5 mins to ensure it cooks evenly. Once toasted with a golden colour, leave to cool.
- To make the apple sauce Put 1/3 of the apple mix into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- To make the custard topping Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and blend until smooth, adding a tsp of hot water if you need it.
- When the cakes are cool, pipe ring swirls around the edge of the cupcakes leaving the centre open, fill the centre with remaining apple sauce and sprinkle the crumble mix over the top.