Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A classic dish of poached eggs with spinach on toast topped with ready-made cheese sauce or buttery Hollandaise. Eggs Florentine makes a cheap, quick meal and, if you poach the eggs in heart-shaped cutters, a romantic breakfast or brunch too
- Knob of butter
- 250g fresh spinach leaves
- A little grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices brioche bread
- 6 tbsp ready made cheese or Hollandaise sauce, warmed
Look for eggs with the British Lion stamp which shows that the eggs have been produced to the highest standards
- Melt the butter in a medium pan, add all the spinach, nutmeg and seasoning. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Drain in a sieve and keep warm.
- Place 2 non-stick heart shaped egg rings in a frying pan, add just enough water to come up to the top of the rings. Season with salt and bring the water to a gentle simmer. Carefully crack the eggs and tip into the centre of the heart rings.
- Cook the eggs over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes or until poached to your liking. Toast the bread and cut the slices in half, top with the warm spinach. Use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs from the water and place them on top of the spinach. Finally spoon over the sauce and serve.