Jo Wheatley’s raspberry and lemon pool cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Jo Wheatley, the winner of The Great British Bake Off in 2011, has created these fruity cupcakes for Marie Curie Cancer Care’s Blooming Great Tea Party. With hidden pools of raspberry jam, they'll definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s a great recipe to try if you want something tasty to chomp on while you enjoy a cup of tea in the afternoon, or want something impressive to serve to your friends if they pop over. Using lemon curd to add an extra tartness to this recipe to. Try it this week and you’ll not be disappointed – this recipe serves make 15 cupcakes and takes less than 45 minutes to prep and cook, so it’s a fail safe speedy option!
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1tbsp good lemon curd
- 2tbsp good raspberry jam
- pink ball cake decorations or sprinkles
- 250g very soft unsalted butter
- 600g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon curd
- 1tbsp raspberry jam
See how to throw your own Blooming Great Tea Party to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat your oven to 170°C/340°F/Gas Mark 4. In a free standing mixer whisk together the flour, margarine, sugar, eggs and lemon curd until pale and fluffy.
- Spoon into 12-15 muffin cases. Make a tiny indentation in each and add an eighth of a spoon of raspberry jam, then cover back over. Bake for 18-22 minutes. Cool on wire racks
- For the buttercream, mix the butter and icing sugar together until pale and fluffy
- Separate into 2 bowls then mix the lemon curd into one half and the jam into the other
- Spoon alternative spoonfuls into a piping bag fitted with your favourite nozzle. Pipe two tone swirls onto the cupcakes.Decorate with pink ball cake decorations or sprinkles.