Cherry and almond muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Impress the family with these light, fluffy and delicious cherry and almond muffins - the fruit will count towards one of your 5-a-day too!
- 175g baking liquid or melted margarine
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 300g self-raising flour, sieved
- 3 medium eggs
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp almond essence
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 250g fresh cherries, stoned and quartered
- Icing sugar (optional)
If you can't get fresh cherries or they're a little expensive then use blueberries or raspberries instead
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place 12 muffin cases into a muffin tray.
- Add all the ingredients except the cherries into a bowl, and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Reserve some cherries for decoration and fold the remainder into the mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly between the paper cases, and decorate the tops with remaining cherries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, then leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.