Strawberries and cream cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These strawberries and cream cupcakes are so light and delicious they're a lovely sweet treat AND there's only 215 calories in each cupcake! So if you want a sweet treat without any guilt if you’re on a diet or are just trying to eat well, why not try these lovely cupcakes this week? Using fresh strawberries in the sponge of these cupcakes helps to give them that lovely berry flavour, while topping it with fresh cream makes it really light and lovely looking. You could use some red food colouring in the icing too if you want to ramp up the fancy look of these cupcakes, but they look just as good with plain icing too. You will want to add fresh strawberries to decorate these lovely cupcakes though – so they’ll even contain some of your five-a-day! What more could you possible want?
- 115g baking liquid or softened margarine
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, medium
- 140g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 55g chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- 150ml whipping cream, whipped
- Icing sugar, to dredge
- Red food colouring, optional
- Fresh strawberries to decorate
Not a fan of strawberries? Decorate with raspberries or a different fruit of your choice, instead
- To make this cupcake recipe, place all cake ingredients except strawberries in a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth. Fold in strawberries. Fancy making the traditional version? Try our classic strawberry cupcakes recipe
- Place heaped tablespoons of the mixture in 12 cupcake cases. Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire tray.
- Mix the whipped cream with a little icing sugar to taste and if using add a little food colouring to achieve a pretty pink colour. Pipe over the cupcakes. Decorate with fresh strawberries.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 215(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 4.4g
- Sugars 12.0g
- Salt 0.3g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.