- 500g caster sugar
- 350g root ginger, coarsely grated
- Pared rind and juice of 2 lemons
- Soda water or sparkling mineral water, to dilute
If you like sweet drinks, then try using lemonade to dilute to tast rather than fizzy water
- Pour 500ml water into a pan and add the sugar. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the ginger and lemon rind to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the mixture to cool. Add the lemon juice to the mixture.
- Strain the syrup, pressing as much juice as possible out of the ginger and then discard the ginger.
- Dilute the syrup to taste with soda water or sparkling mineral water. The syrup can be stored in a bottle in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 200(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.