Chicken and vegetable parcels
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Wrap chicken breasts and finely sliced vegetables in their own little packages and steam to perfection, these healthy chicken and vegetable parcels will be popular with the whole family - and there's only 3g of fat per serving!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (2 medium and 2 small)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 courgette, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Ground black pepper
It’s important when steaming to make sure that the water never boils dry. Check from time to time and top up with extra boiling water if needed
- Cut 4 pieces of greaseproof paper or baking parchment, each measuring approximately 30 cm square.
- Put each chicken breast onto a separate square of greaseproof paper.
- Mix the vegetables together and place an equal amount on top of each piece of chicken. Sprinkle with five-spice powder (if using), the ginger, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Fold up the paper to wrap up the chicken completely.
- Put the parcels into a steamer (a fold-out steamer tray or a colander that fits inside a saucepan will do nicely). Cover and steam for 35–40 minutes.
- Check that the chicken is properly cooked. Unwrap one parcel and insert a sharp knife into the thickest part. The juices should run clear with no traces of pink.
- Serve the chicken in the parcels, along with vegetables and noodles, rice or potatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 158(kcal)
- Fat 3.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
- Salt 0.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.