Easy Thai beef stir-fry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1 tbsp corn or vegetable oil
- 1 thick piece of rump or rib-eye steak (about 300g/10oz)
- 1 romano red pepper, cut into thin rings, deseeded
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 300g pack fresh stir-fry veg mix (we used one from M&S)
- 275g pack fresh fine egg noodles
- 30g (1oz) unsalted cashews or peanuts
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2-1 large green chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsps soft brown sugar
- 3 tsps Thai fish sauce
- 3 tsps toasted sesame oil
- Grated zest and juice of 1 juicy lime
- 25-30g (1oz) fresh coriander
Take herbs out of packaging as soon as you can. Rinse well, shake them dry, wrap in kitchen towel and store in a food bag in the fridge. They should keep for a week like this.
- To make the sauce: Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Spread the nuts out on a baking tray and roast for 10 mins. Cool and chop finely. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, keeping back a good handful of the coriander leaves in a polybag and chopping the rest, with the stalks, to add to the sauce.
- Heat a wok and rub a little oil over the steak. Cook it over a medium heat for 2-3 mins, turn it over and cook for a further 2 mins. Take it out and wrap in foil. Leave for 5-10 mins.
- Add the rest of the oil to the wok and stir-fry the pepper for a min. Add the onions and the stir-fry mix, then stir well. Add the sauce, heat through, then the noodles and heat them through.
- Slice the steak vertically into thin strips. Divide the veg and noodles between hot plates and top with steak strips and a small handful of coriander leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 519(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 4.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.