Gok Wan's braised aubergine with pork
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
TV presenter Gok Wan gets in touch with his roots in TV show Gok Cooks Chinese. His aubergine and pork dish is made with a delicious soy sauce, anchovy, sesame oil and spring onion sauce
- 3tsp groundnut oil
- 150g minced pork
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained and finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 aubergines, trimmed and chopped into 3cm dice
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 200ml water
- 3tsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
Gok says: 'Full of flavour and distinctiveness, this meal will wow the crowds and leave everybody wanting more. Nothing wrong with a little food cabaret at the table!'
- Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. When hot, add the minced pork and stir-fry for 2 minutes until the pork starts to brown at the edges.
- Add the anchovy fillets and garlic and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add the cubed aubergines and stir intermittently for the next 3–4 minutes, until the aubergines begin to brown and soften at the edges.
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour in both types of soy sauce and add half the water. Bring to the boil and put a lid on the wok. Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes. It’s important to ensure the pan does not run dry, so keep checking and add more water, using the entire 200ml if necessary.
- Cook the aubergines down until they are virtually falling apart. At this point, stir in the sesame oil and remove to a plate. Sprinkle liberally with sliced spring onions and serve with rice.