Spinach and stilton tarts
Prep time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The classic combination of spinach and Stilton, these dainty individual tarts are a great tasty addition to any picnic - plus they'll make a delicious change for a packed lunch.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 125g wholewheat flour
- 125g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 60g butter, diced
- 60g white vegetable fat, diced
For the filling:
- 200g spinach, washed and large stalks discarded
- 125g smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 4 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 125g Stilton, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spinach has been used here, but the tops of rainbow or plain green chard could also be used. Or, if you're a vegetarian you can omit the bacon.
- To make the pastry, put the flours and salt into a bowl, add the fats and rub in with your fingertips or use an electric mixer until you get fine crumbs. Gradually mix in about 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a smooth dough, mixing at first with a round-bladed knife or electric mixer and then squeezing together with your hands.
- Knead the dough lightly and then roll out thinly (to about 3 mm) on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out 12 x 10 cm rounds with a plain biscuit cutter. Press into sections of a deep muffin tin, re-rolling the pastry as needed until all 12 sections are lined. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the spinach and dry fry for 2–3 minutes, stirring until just wilted. Transfer to a sieve, press out any liquid and then finely chop.
- Drain the frying pan of water if needed and dry fry the bacon, stirring until crisp and golden.
- Beat the eggs and milk together with a little seasoning. Mix in the spinach and then divide the mixture between the tart cases. Sprinkle over the bacon and Stilton and bake for about 20 minutes until the filling is set and golden.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then loosen the edges of the tarts with a round-bladed knife and lift out of the tin. Serve warm or leave to cool completely.