Mushroom and bean salad
Total time:(plus standing time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Mushrooms are a great low calorie addition to any summer salad and with beans they make a healthy, filling and low-calorie dinner - a winner all round! This recipe serves 4 people and takes about 13 mins to prepare and cook. This recipe is ideal if you're in a hurry. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner. This salad would make a perfect side dish too for BBQ food.
- 200g frozen edame (soya) beans
- 100g green beans, halved
- 150g pack button mushrooms, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 410g can mixed beans, drained
- 100g piece chorizo sausage, diced
- 1tbsp sundried tomato paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This is delicious with flaked canned tuna or some leftover cooked salmon. If you're a vegetarian you could always add some crumbled Feta cheese.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the edame and green beans and cook for 3 minutes, drain then rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Add to a salad bowl with the mushrooms and chopped onion. Add the drained canned beans and chorizo and mix together.
- Put all the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Drizzle over the salad, cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with French bread to mop up the dressing.