Lemon meringue pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic lemon meringue pie recipe is a real favourite. Crisp meringue on a rich lemony filling – no wonder this zesty classic is still a firm family favourite. It almost looks too good to eat! This recipe serves 8 people and takes around 1hr and 5 mins to make and bake. It's a traditional recipe with a time-saving cheat, it uses readymade pastry. You can make your own pastry case if preferred - it's simple! A portion of this mouth-watering pie works out at only 364 calories per serving. This classic dessert is made with fresh lemons instead of lemon curd but if you're a lemon curd fan you could add some to the base and filling. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Serve with ice cream or fresh cream.
- 1/2 x 375g packet sweet pastry
- 397g can condensed milk
- 2 medium egg yolks
- Finely zested rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 egg whites
- 125g caster sugar
- 24cm (91/2in) round enamel pie plate
Fancy a challenge? make your own sweet pastry with our easy recipe
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Roll the pastry out and line the pie plate. Prick the base and pinch the edges to pattern them. Chill for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the filling: Mix together the condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon rind and juice. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- To make the meringue: Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar. Spoon the meringue on top of the pie, either leaving it just in the centre or covering the top of the pie completely.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and turn the oven temperature down to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the meringue has turned a light golden colour and the pastry is cooked.
- Remove the pie from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
Like this? You'll love our cheat's quick lemon meringue pie recipe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 364(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.