Orange and elderflower cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Bring the taste of summer to your baking by making these delicious orange and elderflower cupcakes. Light sponges with a creamy, tangy buttercream, these cupcakes taste as good as they look
- 170g self-raising flour
- 20g cornflour
- 115g unsalted butter
- 160g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 120ml buttermilk
- Zest of 2 oranges
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml fresh orange juice
- 135g unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 1tsp orange zest
- ½tsp lemon juice
- 3tbsp elderflower cordial
- 20g flower paste (white)
- Yellow Hundreds and Thousands
- Orange sugar pearls
You will also need:
- Large piping bag with a Wilton 1B nozzle
- Small primrose cutter
- Veining tool (optional)
If you can't find buttermilk in the shops make your own by adding 1tbsp lemon juice to 115ml of milk
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and line the tray with 10 muffin cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat again.
- Add the vanilla and orange zest and juice and beat. Don’t worry if the batter splits it will come back together when you add the flour.
- Add the flour and buttermilk a bit at a time beating in between each addition until just combined and smooth.
- Put into the paper cases and bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 mins in the tins before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream: put all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until smooth and shiny. Add the nozzle to the piping bag and fill with the buttercream. Starting in the centre and working your way out to the paper and using the paper as a guide, pipe a swirl by following the paper and building up. To finish push down slightly and pull up quickly.
- To make the flowers: knead the flower paste til warm and pliable and roll to 2 mm thick. Cut 30 flowers out and vein with the veining tool, if you wish.
- Using a brush of water, stick 3 yellow Hundreds and Thousands to the centre of the flower and place on the top of the cakes. Sprinkle with the orange sugar pearls.