Chickpea and courgette eggah
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
An eggah is an Arabic-style omelette and this hearty chickpea and courgette version makes a delicious cheap and easy lunch or dinner. Feed a family of 4 for under a fiver with this bargain meal
- 2tbsp oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 (400g) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 45g/3tbsp freshly chopped flat parsley
- 6 large eggs
Cook extra and pack in lunchboxes for the next day with salad - delicious!
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, add the onions and sauté over a medium heat for 6-8mins or until golden brown. Add the courgettes, increase the heat and sauté for 2mins until softened.
- Stir in the chickpeas, garlic, spices and parsley and stir fry for 2mins until hot. Beat the eggs with 2tbsp water and add to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid or tray, then cook over a medium heat for 3-4mins or until the surface is almost set.
- Sprinkle over the cheese, pop the pan under a hot grill and cook for a further 2-3mins or until the top is golden and the centre is set. Serve warm or cold in wedges with harissa sauce and a tomato salad.