Courgette and apple muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you’ve only ever eaten courgettes in savoury dishes, prepare yourself for a nice surprise. In these muffins the little bits of apple taste delicious with the soft sponge created by the courgettes
- 12 thin strips of courgette peel
- 320g plain flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 50g walnuts, finely chopped
- 50g raisins
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp salt
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 150g peeled, cored and grated apples
- 150g grated courgettes
You can't taste the courgettes in the cake, they just produce a deliciously moist sponge
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together then mix with the other dry ingredients, saving a little of the sugar to sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Mix the eggs and oil together. Add the grated apples and courgettes.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together without overworking them.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin moulds. Decorate each with a strip of courgette peel and a pinch of sugar.
- Cook the muffins for 20−25 minutes until they are firm and golden. Check they are cooked through with a skewer; if it comes out clean, they are done.