Slimming World meatloaf with tomato and chilli jam
Cooking time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
For a meaty treat the whole family can share and enjoy together, this Slimming World recipe is perfect! Serve your meatloaf with a tangy tomato and chilli jam for a lovely summery flavour
IngredientsFor the jam
- 500g ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 red chillies, deseeded (optional)
- 2cm cube of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6-8 tbsp sweetener
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
For the meatloaf
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 100g rindless lean bacon, all visible fat removed, chopped
- 400g extra lean minced beef
- 500g lean pork steaks, all visible fat removed, roughly chopped
- 1 level tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 large gherkins, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2tsp chopped thyme
- 4tbsp chopped parsley
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
The jam can be made up to 3 days in advance and any leftovers can be kept in the fridge and used on sandwiches and cold meats
- First make the jam. Dice half of the tomatoes. Place the remaining whole tomatoes in a food processor along with the garlic, red chillies and ginger and blend until roughly puréed.
- Pour the mixture into a deep heavy-based pan together with the sweetener and vinegar. Bring to the boil and stir slowly. Once the mixture has reached boiling point, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the remaining diced tomatoes and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent the jam sticking.
- Spoon the mixture into a warmed sterilised jar, seal while still warm and set aside to cool.
- To make the meatloaf, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Place in a fine sieve and press out any juices with the back of a spoon. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the bacon in the same pan over a medium heat, for 4-5 minutes or until crispy then add to the onion mixture.
- Add the minced beef, pork steaks, mustard, gherkins, egg, chopped herbs and nutmeg. Season, place in a blender and process until fairly smooth. Put in a 900g non-stick loaf tin and bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until firm. Drain away any juices from the tin. Leave the meatloaf in the tin for 1 hour then turn out onto a board. (The meatloaf can be covered and refrigerated at this stage.)
- Sprinkle the meatloaf with chopped parsley, cut into thick slices and serve with the tomato and chilli jam.
For more delicious recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website