Thomasina Miers' Mexican summer slaw
Skill level: Easy peasy
Fresh and delicious, this Thomasina Miers' Mexican summer slaw is bursting with flavour and the perfect side to go with any dish you make this summer. Coleslaw is the perfect side dish to any BBQ, as its flavour complements the taste of any meat perfectly. The sour cream, red wine vinegar, lime juice and mustard dressing brings a real kick to the dish. To make this delicious slaw recipe, you will around 20 mins in the kitchen - so it won't take you long to whip up this tasty side dish. This coleslaw recipe serves 4 people, but you can easily double up the ingredients if you're feeding more people - you'll probably need to if you're heading to a BBQ with friends or a party.
- 1tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ¼ firm white cabbage, finely sliced
- small head of baby gem lettuce, finely sliced
- 6 large radishes, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced into matchsticks
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- 2tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1tbsp chopped fresh coriander
For the dressing:
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 egg yolk
- ½tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- large pinch of sea salt
- 2tsp red wine vinegar
- juice of ½ a lime
- 170ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp sour cream
This is delicious served with slow-cooked meats or Sunday roasts, or as toppings for tacos and tostadas
- Start by making the dressing. Lightly dry-roast the cumin seeds in a small frying pan for a minute or so to release their flavour, then grind to a powder.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, cumin, salt, vinegar and lime juice, then gradually whisk in the olive oil.
- Stir in the sour cream, taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan for a minute or so, until lightly coloured.
- In a large bowl, mix all the slaw ingredients together, but save some of the pumpkin seeds for garnish.
- About 10 minutes before you sit down to eat, toss the slaw with the dressing and sprinkle with the reserved pumpkin seeds.
Fancy making a traditional coleslaw? Use our classic coleslaw recipe!