Passion fruit meringues
- 4 passion fruit
- 2 med egg whites
- 125g caster sugar
- 1-2 baking sheets, lined with nonstick liner or baking parchment
The meringues will keep for 3-4 days if stored in a cool, dry place.
- Set the oven to 110-120°C/250°F/Gas Mark ½. Scoop the passion-fruit pulp and seeds out into a bowl (or pan). Heat in a microwave (or over a low heat) until the mixture boils and some of the liquid evaporates and it thickens slightly. Cool.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then gradually whisk in the sugar, a spoonful at a time, until about half the sugar is added. Fold in the remaining sugar to make the meringue.
- Spoon 6-8 rounds of meringue on to the lined baking sheets. Add a small spoonful of the passion-fruit purée to each and swirl it over the top.
- Bake the meringues in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼ hrs or until the meringues are dry. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool in there.
- Once they have cooled, place the meringues in an airtight container until serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 67(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.