Pineapple, passion fruit and lime cordial
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2 pineapples (about 1kg each)
- 4 passion fruit
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- About 200g caster sugar
- Sparkling water or lemonade, to serve
- Jelly bag or muslin-lined sieve
For a clear cordial, donít squeeze the mixture while itís straining.
- Peel the pineapple and roughchop its flesh, including the core. Put it in a pan with 150ml (ľ pint) water. Scoop out the passion fruit flesh and add to the pan, with the lime zest and juice.
- Put the pan on the hob and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for about 10 mins. Remove from the heat and strain the mixture through a jelly bag or a muslin-lined sieve, until itís stopped dripping, about an hour. (Pour boiling water through the bag or muslin first, so the fabric doesnít just soak up the juice.)
- Measure the strained juice and use 30g sugar for each 100ml juice (eg, for 600ml juice, use 180g sugar).
- Put the juice and sugar in a clean pan and place the pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat, bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 2-3 mins. Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly and then pour into a sterilised bottle. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
- To drink, dilute to taste with sparkling water or, for a sweeter drink, with lemonade.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 183(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.