Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This traditional pudding has a hint of orange and the plums make it juicy and delicious. Ready in an hour, this speedy dessert only has 198 calories per serving
- Grated zest and juice of an orange
- 500g plums, halved and pitted
- 7 medium slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 4tbsp artificial sweetener
- 25g low-fat spread, melted
Some plums are sweeter than others, so will need less sweetener - make sure you keep tasting it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the plums into a saucepan with the orange zest and juice and cinnamon. Add 5 tablespoons of water and simmer until the plums are tender – it should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the artificial sweetener gradually and taste it as you do.
- Brush a 15cm straight sided baking dish or cake tin with the low-fat spread.
- Brush the rest of the low-fat spread lightly over the slices of bread. Place one slice in the base of the dish you’re using, reserve one slice for the top and then fit the rest of the slices around the sides. Ease them into place so that they fit nicely and cut any leftovers to fill in any gaps.
- Spoon in the plums and place the remaining slice of bread on top, folding the bread around the sides over to enclose the plum filling.
- Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes. Allow the to cool for a few minutes and then serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 198(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.