Makes: 1 cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This French eggy pudding is best served at room temperature accompanied with softened vanilla ice cream and lightly whipped cream - make it with your favourite fruit or whatever is in season
- 8 ripe plums
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Butter and caster sugar for the tin
- Slivered almonds to decorate
For the clafouti mixture:
- 50g slivered almonds
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 organic egg yolks
- 70g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 250ml whipping cream
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 30g plain flour
This also tastes really good made with apples, pears or rhubarb. Cut these fruits into pieces or slices and fry them like the plums.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Halve and stone the plums. Then put the fruit into a pan and fry them, skin side up in the butter, sugar and cinnamon – then leave them to cool.
- To make the clafouti: Grind the almonds in a blender to make a fine powder.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Mix these with the flour, almond powder, sugar and lime zest.
- Add the cream, eggs and egg yolks and beat until smooth.
- Butter a 2litre ovenproof dish and sprinkle with sugar. Pour in the mixture.
- Arrange the plums, skin side up, in the dish and then sprinkle over the slivered almonds.
- Put the dish in the centre of the oven and bake for 35–40 minutes or until golden and the mixture is set.