Plum crumble cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This juicy plum crumble cake is somewhere between a sponge cake and a crumble (2 of our favourite things!) and it's delicious! Make it with plums, apricots, apples or rhubarb - or a tasty combination of them!
IngredientsFor the topping:
- 115g margarine or butter
- 115g granulated sugar
- 140g flour (self-raising or plain)
For the base:
- 150g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g margarine or butter
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2tsp milk
- 500g plums, stoned and halved
Try adding a pinch of mixed spice, cinnamon or ginger to the crumble topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking
- In a bowl, rub the butter and flour together with your fingers until it looks like coarse, sticky breadcrumbs. Then, stir the sugar in.
- In a separate bowl, make the sponge base by creaming the margarine or butter and sugar together, then beating in the eggs.
- Then, stir in the flour and add the milk – beat the mixture well.
- Spread the sponge mixture into the cake tin. Place the plum halves on top of the base, on their sides or
cut side up, crowding them closely together. Finally scatter the crumble mixture over the plums.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin before serving.