Chicken à la King
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
goodtoknow user David has sent us his delicious recipe for chicken à la King. Cook chicken and peppers in a creamy white wine sauce for a quick and easy family dinner idea
- 200g red, green and yellow bell peppers
- 1 medium size onion (approx 160g )
- 4 medium chicken breasts (approx 380g)
- 5 small chicken stock cubes (approx 20g)
- 700ml boiling water
- 70g unsalted butter
- 4tbsp flour
- 100ml dry white wine
- 150ml dry sherry
- 2tbsp fresh light cream
This can be served with steamed white rice or even red rice if you prefer.
- Take equal quantities of red, green and yellow bell peppers and cut them into squares approximately ¾inch thick.
- Cut the onion into approximately ¾inch squares to match the bell peppers.
- Chop each chicken breast into 3 equal strips.
- Place the chicken, bell peppers and onions into a saucepan together with the chicken stock cubes and cover the contents with the boling water. Bring all the the boil and simmer for around 5 mins.
- Strain the contents, reserving the stock and juices.
- With a new saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux sauce. Make sure the flour is cooked out but not burnt.
- Pour in the stock and stir until thick. Bring to the boil then add the chicken, pepper and onion mix.
- Add the dry white wine and stir, then add the sherry and stir again. Bring to the boil, then add the cream and stir well.