Caramelised red onion quiche
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 150g wholemeal flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 x 12cm (41/2in) flan tins
- 30g butter
- 1tbsp light olive oil
- 500g red onions, peeled, sliced
- 1 level tsp caster sugar
- 1 level tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 medium eggs
- 170ml carton double cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
These are also delicious with a little grated Gruyere cheese sprinkled over the top before baking.
- Tip the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and add the butter. Whizz until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add 1-2 tbsps water and whizz until mixture just starts to bind together into a dough.
- Divide the mixture into 4 an roll each one out. Use to line the tins. Chill the cases for 30 mins.
- To prepare the filling, melt the butter in a pan and add the oil. Stir in the onion and sprinkle over the sugar. Cook for about 20-30 mins, stirring occasionally until the onion softens and caramelises. Remove pan from the hob and leave the onions to cool slightly.
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Divide the onion mixture between the pastry cases. Sprinkle over the thyme and season. Beat the eggs with the cream and mustard and pour into the pastry cases.
- Place the tarts on the hot baking sheet and cook for 35-40 mins, or until the filling is set and a light golden colour. Remove from the oven and slide the tins onto a wire rack. Leave the quiches to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then remove them from the tins.
- Serve the quiches warm or leave them to cool on the wire racks and leave them to go cold and serve at toom temperature.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 693(kcal)
- Fat 57.0g
- Salt 33.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.