- 250g medium-sized green and red chillies
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black and 6 pink peppercorns
- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 level tbsp salt
- 4 level tbsp caster sugar
- 600ml white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1-2 tall jar(s), sterilised
The skin of chillies must be perfect for pickling, otherwise if one goes mouldy, it will contaminate the rest of them.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the stalk end off the chilli and carefully slit each chilli from the stalk to the tip and remove the seeds, use the handle of a teaspoon. (Check the chillies will fit in your jar/s and trim them if necessary.) Lay the chillies down in one layer in a shallow dish, with the bay leaves, and pour boiling water over them. Leave for 5 mins. Drain well.
- Divide the peppercorns, coriander seeds and salt in the jar(s), then pack in the chillies and bay leaves.
- Heat the sugar and vinegar over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. When hot, but not boiling, pour the syrup into the jar(s). Cool, put the lid(s) on. Seal and label. Chill. Leave for 2 weeks before using. They should keep 4 months.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 433(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.