Spicy plum compote
- 2 rounded tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 whole star anise
- 500g caster sugar
- 1kg firm ripe, firm plums (about 16), washed
- Small roasting tray, lined with parchment paper
- 2-3 Kilner jars, sterilised
You can use ground cinnamon and 1-2 cinnamon sticks rather than the five-spice powder and star anise. If the plums are ripe enough, halve, stone and quarter them and roast for just 25-30 mins.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Mix the spices, sugar and 200ml hot water in a large bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the plums, scored to the stone into quarters, and coat them well.
- Spoon the fruit and syrup into the lined tray. Bake for 40 mins, stirring halfway through. They should still be quite firm.
- Pack the plums into the jars and spoon the sugary juices over to cover the fruit. Seal and label. Store in the fridge. The plums will keep for 1 month.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 179(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.