Prep time:Spiced vinegar needs to be left overnight.
Total time:Leave for a week before eating.
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Although Beetroots have the highest sugar content of any vegetable, they are also incredibly low in calories, making them the perfect savoury sweet treat for guilt-free snacking. This is a great way to make your beetroot harvest last longer so you can get that sweet beetroot flavour all year round. Costing next to nothing to make, if you can afford to spend the time to make this pickled beetroot recipe, you値l have plenty to go around. Theses juicy beetroots can be enjoyed on their own, or they go really well with salads or sliced in sandwiches.
- About 1.5kg (total weight) fresh beetroot
- 2.5cm piece cinnamon stick
- 1tsp each black peppercorns, cloves and yellow mustard seeds
- 2tsps whole allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- 2tbsps caster sugar
- 1 litre distilled malt vinegar
- 4 wide-necked jars, sterilised
Wear washing-up gloves for peeling and slicing beetroot, otherwise you値l have pink fingers for a couple of days.
- To make the spiced vinegar: Put the spices, sugar and 300ml of the vinegar in a pan. Bring to the boil slowly, take it off the heat and set aside; overnight, covered, if you have time, to let the flavours develop.
- Wash the beetroots carefully without rubbing the skin off. Put them into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for about 1⁄2 hours until just tender. Drain them and leave to cool.
- Rub off the beetroot skin, then slice the roots (about 1cm thick) and pack into jars. Pour in the vinegar and spices. Cover, seal and label. Leave a week before eating. It keeps for 3 months.
Nutritional information per recipe
- Calories 649(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.