Red onion marmalade
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 500g red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 1tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 60g light muscovado sugar
- 100ml red wine
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- A handful of thyme sprigs
- 2 small jars, sterilised
Use port, if you want a richer flavoured marmalade instead of the red wine.
- Heat the oil in a large pan with the onions and mustard seeds. Cook for 15 mins. Add the garlic, chilli and sugar, and 5 tbsps water. Cover and cook for 15 mins. Add the wine, vinegar and thyme sprigs.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-30 mins until the mixture is syrupy. Remove thyme.
- Spoon into the hot, sterilised jars, seal and label. The marmalade will keep 2 months.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 25(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.